Campaign underway to keep people from drinking and driving while kids trick-or-treat
This week is North Carolina's annual Halloween Booze It & Lose It Campaign.
To discourage drivers from getting behind the wheel after drinking, law enforcement from various departments across the state will be stepping up patrols and using checkpoints and saturation patrols now through October 31.
“Many families will be hitting the streets this Halloween season to enjoy trick-or-treating and we want everyone to have a good time,” said Mark Ezzell, director of the N.C. Governor’s Highway Safety Program. “People who drink and drive can turn a good time into a tragedy. If you’re going to drink, never get behind the wheel.”
Instead, people who decide to drink should find a sober ride home by phoning a friend or calling a taxi or a ride service, Ezzell said.
Last year, there were 41 deaths statewide during the campaign and more than 250 people have been killed this year in alcohol-related crashes in North Carolina. In 2021, 423 people died on North Carolina roads due to alcohol-related crashes.
The Onslow County Sheriff’s Office said this year there have been more alcohol-related deaths in the county than in nearly 8 years.
Deputies there and across eastern North Carolina will be increasing enforcement throughout the week to combat impaired driving.