© 2024 Public Radio East
Public Radio For Eastern North Carolina 89.3 WTEB New Bern 88.5 WZNB New Bern 91.5 WBJD Atlantic Beach 90.3 WKNS Kinston 88.5 WHYC Swan Quarter 89.9 W210CF Greenville
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

New Bern gets almost $1 million to remove high-risk homes flooded during Hurricane Florence


State and federal funding was recently approved to help the City of New Bern acquire several homes in flood-prone areas. PRE’s Meredith Radford has more.





Nearly $1 million was approved to acquire, demolish and remove eight homes that were flooded as a result of Hurricane Florence in 2018. The structures are located within a Special Flood Hazard Area, which means they are at a high-risk for flooding. According to a news release, FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program will allow the homeowners to relocate so they won’t face an ongoing risk of flooding. The homes will be demolished, and the property converted into an open space in the natural flood plain. FEMA will cover 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining 25 percent is paid for by the state. For Public Radio East, I’m Meredith Radford.

Related Content