Search Committee named to recommend new ECU chancellor
CHAPEL HILL – A 20-member committee has been appointed in the search for a permanent chancellor at East Carolina University. A press release from ECU says interim UNC-system President William Roper and ECU Board of Trustees chair Vern Davenport made the announcement Friday. Davenport will chair the search committee that will make recommendations to the ECU Board of Trustees, which in turn will vote on candidates to recommend to Dr. Roper. Dr. Roper will recommend a candidate to the UNC-system Board of Governors, which will elect the new chancellor The entire hiring process is expected to take 6-9 months. The search committee’s next meeting is schedule for December 10.
ECU is currently being led by interim chancellor Dr. Ron Mitchelson. He served as provost and senior vice chancellor for academic affairs at ECU since 2015. He was appointed to the position in October after the prior interim chancellor Dan Gerlach resigned following the release of photos to social media showing him drinking with students at two Greenville bars.
Individuals appointed to the search committee are:
• Vern Davenport, chair of the ECU Board of Trustees, will serve as chair of the ECU Chancellor Search Committee. A resident of Raleigh, Davenport is an ECU alumnus (1980 BS Business Administration, 1981 MBA) and Athletics letter winner. He is a partner at NovaQuest Private Equity, a Raleigh-based health care investment firm.
• Michael Aho of McLean, Virginia; ECU alumnus (2002 BS in Communications), analyst with the U.S. State Department, current chair of the ECU Alumni Association Board, and member of ECU Board of Visitors.
• Angela Allen of Raleigh; ECU alumna (1981 BA in Computer Science, 1995 MBA), managing partner of A Cubed Consulting, LLC, retired IBM executive, and ECU Alumni Association Distinguished Alumni Award recipient.
• Michelle Bone of Greenville; ECU alumna (2018 BSBA in Marketing); ECU Staff Senate chair and delegate for UNC System Staff Assembly.
• Caroline Bevillard of Greenville; senior associate athletics director and senior women’s administrator.
• Cassandra Burt of Emerald Isle; ECU alumna, philanthropist, member of the Medical and Health Sciences Foundation Board, and the Pirate Club Board.
• Crystal Chambers of Clayton; vice chair of ECU Faculty, associate professor in the College of Education.
• John Cooper of Raleigh; ECU alumnus (1971 BS in Business Administration), founder of Connect C, LLC, and chair of ECU Board of Visitors.
• Neal Crawford of Greensboro; ECU alumnus (1985 BS in Business Administration), CEO of Carolina State Bank, member of ECU Foundation.
• Leigh Jeffreys Fanning of Greenville; ECU alumna; retired vice president of R.A. Jeffreys Distributing and member of ECU Board of Trustees.
• Brian Floyd of Greenville; president of Vidant Medical Center and chief operating officer of Vidant Health Hospitals.
• Grant Hayes of Greenville; acting provost and senior vice chancellor for academic affairs at ECU, dean and distinguished professor, College of Education.
• Colin Johnson of Greenville; ECU student body president and member of the ECU Board of Trustees.
• Chris Locklear of Greenville; ECU alumnus (1997 BS in History; 2001 MS in Education; 2007 EdD in Educational Leadership); currently serving ECU as interim chief of staff.
• Jason Poole of Fayetteville; ECU alumnus (1999 BS in Accounting and MS in Accounting); member, TRP CPAs, PLLC; and member of ECU Board of Trustees.
• Jeff Popke of Greenville; chair of the faculty and professor of geography.
• Jim Segrave of Kinston; ECU alumnus, chairman/owner of flyExclusive, and member of ECU Board of Trustees.
• Vince Smith of Vienna, Virginia; ECU alumnus (1984 BA in History), Lt. Col (Ret.) US Air Force, Air Force Personnel Security Appeal Board Member /Adjudicator, and member of ECU Board of Trustees.
• Mark Stacy of Greenville; vice chancellor for health sciences at ECU.
• Ann Wall of Greenville; Greenville city manager.