Work Available For People Who Lost Jobs, Business Due To Florence

May 13, 2019

The Kinston based nonprofit Greene Lamp was recently awarded a $1.7 million grant to help people directly affected by Hurricane Florence find work in Eastern North Carolina.   Funding from the Department of Labor will help individuals who lost a job or a business because of the storm.   Over 300 applications have been received so far for the Hurricane Florence Disaster Relief Employment Program, said Chantel Dunn, program specialist.

"People are steadily coming in, applying for the positions that we have available through non-profit organizations and public entities that would offer their businesses as a work site where we can put individuals that are qualified back to work."

According to Dunn, those who had jobs in the service industry, like at hotels and restaurants, were most affected by Hurricane Florence.    

"One, in particular, Double Tree in New Bern is still not open yet.  Those individuals, some had to relocate but some are still in the area and we were able to get some of those people back to work through the program," said Dunn. 

The grant will allow Greene Lamp to hire about 150 people. Local farmers who lost their crops and fishers who were unable to operate due to effects from the storm may be qualified for the program. 

"They can go to their local NC Works Career center and ask about the Hurricane Florence Disaster Relief Employment Program and there will be an employment specialist there to help them with that information," said Dunn.  "Or, you're welcome to contact Greene Lamps Community Action Agency 300 Summit Ave. in Kinston, North Carolina."

To be eligible for the program, an individual must have been out of work for 13 consecutive weeks or their business temporarily or permanently closed due to Hurricane Florence.  The program is available to people in nine counties, including Craven, Carteret, Pamlico, Jones, Lenoir, Onslow and Duplin counties.