Wave header image graphic banner
Public Radio For Eastern North Carolina 89.3 WTEB New Bern 88.5 WZNB New Bern 91.5 WBJD Atlantic Beach 90.3 WKNS Kinston 88.1 W201AO Greenville 88.5 WHYC Swan Quarter
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Investigators looking into substation shooting that left thousands without power for days have applied for search warrants

Substation shooting AP.jpg
(John Nagy/The Pilot via AP)
/
This photos shows the gate to the Duke Energy West End substation in Moore County, N.C. on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2022. Tens of thousands were without power in the county after what authorities say was an act of criminal vandalism at multiple substations. The Pilot newspaper in Southern Pines reported that infrastructure at the West End substation was damaged.

Investigators are still trying to find out who shot up two electrical substations Saturday night leaving much of Moore County without power for days. They have now applied for search warrants.

Moore County Chief Deputy Richard Maness says the sheriff’s office had applied for several warrants over the past few days. But he declined to say what property they were for, or even whether they had been executed yet.

"Nope. Nope," he said, "No, they’re under seal. Not going to release any of that."

He did confirm shell casings found at the substations, but declined to say how many or for what kind of weapons.

Investigators had already said someone fired multiple rounds and that the shots seemed to have been aimed by someone knowledgeable about electrical grid equipment.

About 45,000 customers were initially without power. It wasn’t fully restored until Wednesday.

Jay Price is the military and veterans affairs reporter for North Carolina Public Radio - WUNC.