Funeral services for Raleigh police officer Gabriel Torres have been scheduled for this weekend.
Torres was one of five people killed in a mass shooting in the Hedingham neighborhood of northeast Raleigh last week.
Torres was on the job for 18 months. Before that, he served as a U.S. Marine at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville.
He was part of Combat Logistic Battalion 24, 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit and the 2nd Marine Logistics Group, and served in the Marines for more than four years, obtaining the rank of sergeant.
His military awards include a Good Conduct Medal, a National Defense Service Medal, a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, a Humanitarian Service Medal and a Sea Service Deployment Ribbon.
Torres, 29, was on his way to work when he was fatally shot in the Hedingham neighborhood, police said. Raleigh Police Chief Estella D. Patterson said Torres was not in uniform or in his patrol car at the time of the shooting, according to the News & Observer.
The other victims in the shooting included Nicole Connors, 52; Susan Karnatz, 49; Mary Marshall, 34; and 16-year-old James Thompson. A woman and a second Raleigh police officer also were wounded.
His visitation on Friday and funeral on Saturday will both be open to the public. Friday’s visitation will be held at The Chapel of Mitchell Funeral Home, while Saturday’s service will be held at Cross Assembly Church, according to Torres’ online obituary.
Torres is survived by his wife and a young daughter.
He is the first Raleigh police officer killed in more than 20 years.