Former University Chancellor Sues UNC System Over His Exit

Jun 23, 2020

The former chancellor of East Carolina University has sued the University of North Carolina system over his departure. The News & Observer reports a lawsuit filed by former Chancellor Cecil Staton says his exit from his job last year was the result of a vendetta by a school official. Staton says the issue between him and Harry Smith, university system’s former board of governors chairman, resulted from his refusal to accept Smith's business proposal about off-campus student housing. The lawsuit filed this month also alleges Smith and others disseminated a dossier that hurt Staton's chances at getting another job. Smith has denied the allegations.